- Daniel and Lennart won first place at the baiosphere hackathon 2023 and presented their findings at AI.BAY2023.
- Tobias, Bernd and David received the best poster award at the “AI and Data Science at the Medical Faculty Symposium 2023” for the paper Cascaded Latent Diffusion Models for High-Resolution Chest X-ray Synthesis.
- Jann, Bernd and Matthias received the best paper award at the “First Workshop on Ever Evolving NLP (EvoNLP)” at EMNLP 2022.
- Matthias received the Teaching Award for Non-Faculty Lecturers 2022 from the BWL Student Council Wasti.
- Mina and Bernd : Received the 2022 Medical Imaging - Computer-Aided Diagnosis Best Paper Award for the paper Bayesian uncertainty estimation for detection of long-tail and unseen conditions.
- Mina and Bernd : Received the 2022 Medical Imaging - Poster Award for the paper Deep mutual GANs: representation learning from multiple experts.
- Patrick Schratz, one of our alumni: Received the FAIRest Data Set Award 2021 for the data set Monitoring forest health using hyperspectral imagery: Does feature selection improve the performance of machine-learning techniques?.
- Bernd and Quay: Received the 2021 DGOF Best Paper Award for the paper Predicting personality from patterns of behavior collected with smartphones.
- Bernd: Received the 2021 SIGEVO Impact award for the article Exploratory Landscape Analysis.
- The developers of the Open Source Machine Learning Package mlr (incl. Bernd, Michel, Giuseppe, Jakob) received the ODSC West 2019 Data Science Award.
- Bernd: Won the best paper award of the ITAT conference with their paper Reinforcement Learning for Automatic Online Algorithm Selection - an Empirical Study.
- Janek: Won the TEFDataChallenge at Wayra.
- Giuseppe: Ranked 1st in “Predict the next phone call competition”
- Giuseppe: Ranked 1st in “Predict Exacerbation in patients with Respiratory Diseases”
- Bernd: Best dissertation award 2013 from Department of Statistics, TU Dortmund.
- Bernd: I have regularly taught and lead a student team for the German Data Mining Cup competition. We scored 1st place in 2013 and 2011, and 2nd place in 2010 and 2013.
- Bernd: Julia Schiffner, Claus Weihs and I won the best paper “Method Award” of the GfKl 2010 conference for our contribution “Bias-Variance Analysis of Local Classification Methods”.
- Bernd: Hong Qinyuan won the Industrial Challenge of the GECCO 2011 conference for his “Dynamic Linear Trading System”. He submitted his solution as a student under my supervision.
- Bernd: Best intermediate diploma award in computer science from University of Hamburg.