- Huge success at ECML PKDD 2023 The 2023 Best Paper Award for the Research Track goes to “Towards Efficient MCMC Sampling in Bayesian Neural Networks by Exploiting Symmetry” by Jonas Gregor Wiese, Lisa Wimmer, Theodore Papamarkou, Bernd Bischl, Stephan Günnemann, David Rügamer.
- AutoML Fall School to be hosted in Munich The 3rd AutoML Fall School will be hosted in Munich from Nov 27 - Nov 30 and early bird tickets are available until the end of September.
- With flying colors at the ai.bay 2023 Hackathon Daniel Schalk and Lennart Schneider win this year’s ai.bay Hackathon
- 1st World Conference on eXplainable Artificial Intelligence (xAI 2023) Call for papers for the Special Track on Model-agnostic Explanations by Dr. Giuseppe Casalicchio and Julia Herbinger - July 26-28, 2023 - Lisboa, Portugal (abstract deadline: April 15, 2023)
- Great success for AI research in Munich The Munich Center for Machine Learning (MCML), a joint initiative of LMU and TUM, has been granted funding as a permanent establishment following a positive evaluation. July 2022
- 2021-10-15: Sebastian Fischer started as a research software engineer.
- Interpretable ML at Online BLIZ Summer School
Dr. Giuseppe Casalicchio, Christoph Molnar and Julia Herbinger will briefly present some basic topics of interpretable machine learning including a hands-on use case with the R package
imlat the Online BLIZ Summer School in Multidisciplinary Research and Synthesis on July, 5th 2021.
- 2021 SIGEVO Award
Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl recently received the 2021 SIGEVO Impact Award for the
GECCO 2011 publication:
Mersmann, O., Bischl, B., Trautmann, H., Preuss, M., Weihs, C., Rudolph, G. Exploratory landscape analysis (2011) Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO’11, pp. 829-836.
Established in 2009, the SIGEVO Impact award recognizes up to three papers a year that were published in the GECCO conference 10 years earlier and which are both highly cited and deemed to be seminal by the SIGEVO Executive Committee.
- LMU/MCML as co-organizers of the 2021 DSSGx Summer Initiative As part of the MCML the Chair of Statistical Learning and Data Science joins forces with the University of Warwick under the DSSGx UK chapter of the DSSG Foundation supported by the Alan Turing Institute to organise the prestigious 2021 DSSGx Summer Projects, partaking in the renowned Data Science for Social Good (DSSG) initiative. The programme will run for 12 weeks from 7 June to 27 August 2021, and will be entirely online due to COVID-19.
- Former Working Group for Computational Statistics turns into the Chair of Statistical Learning and Data Science (1.5.2020) Since May 1st, 2020, Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl holds the chair of Statistical Learning and Data Science at the Department of Statistics, LMU Munich. Previously the head of the working group for Computational Statistics, Prof. Dr. Bischl now heads nine PostDocs, 26 PhD candidates and numerous student assistants.
- Prof. Bischl becomes Advisory board member Mannheim Center of Data Science With the beginning of 2021 Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl is now an advisory board member of the Mannheim Center of Data Science.
- 2021-06-01: Lennart Schneider started his Ph.D. He will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl.
- 2021-04-01: Lukas Burk started his Ph.D. He will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl and Dr. Marvin Wright.
- 2021-04-01: Chris Kolb started his Ph.D. He will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl and Dr. David Rügamer.
- 2021-03-15: Daniel Dold started his Ph.D. He will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl.
- 2020-10-01: Tobias Pielok started his Ph.D. He will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl.
- 2020-08-01: Julia Herbinger started her Ph.D. She will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl and Dr. Giuseppe Casalicchio.
- 2020-08-01: Ludwig Bothmann started in the group as postdoc.
- 2020-06-22: Hüseyin Anil Gündüz started his Ph.D as part of the Deep Learning research group. He will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl and will be working on the GenomeNet project.
- 2020-06-20: Felix Ott started his Ph.D. at the Department of Statistics at LMU Munich. He will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl.
- 2020-05-15: Philipp Kopper started his Ph.D. at the Department of Statistics. He will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl and Dr. David Rügamer.
- 2020-05-01: Theresa Stüber started her Ph.D. at the Department of Statistics at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich. She will be supervised by Prof.Dr. Bernd Bischl and Prof. Dr. Michael Ingrisch (LMU Klinikum, Großhadern).
- 2020-05-01: The working group Computational Statistics has become the Chair of Statistical Learning and Data Science (SLDS).
- 2020-04-15: Jakob Richter started in the group.
- 2020-03-15: Mina Rezaei started in the group as postdoc.
- 2020-03-01: Juliane Lauks started in the group as scientific manager.
- 2019-11-15: Andreas Bender started in the group as postdoc.
- 2019-10-15: Susanne Dandl started her Ph.D. She will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl and Dr. Heidi Seibold.
- 2019-10-01: Katharina Rath started her Ph.D. She will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl and Dr. Udo von Toussaint (IPP).
- 2019-09-01: Julia Terhart started her Ph.D. at the Department of Statistics at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich. She will be supervised by Prof. Bernd Bischl.
- 2019-10-01: Heidi Seibold started in the group as postdoc.
- 2019-07-01: Emilio Dorigatti started his Ph.D. He will be supervised by Prof. Bernd Bischl and Dr. Benjamin Schubert (Helmholtz) and will work on the design of personalized cancer vaccines.
- 2019-05-01: Gunnar König started his Ph.D. at the Department of Statistics at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich. He will be supervised by Prof. Grosse-Wentrup (Universität Wien) and Prof. Bischl (LMU) working on Interpretable Machine Learning and Causality.
- 2019-05-01: Jann Goschenhofer started his Ph.D. at the Department of Statistics at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich in close cooperation with the Fraunhofer ADA Center. His research interest lies at the intersection of model uncertainty and semi-supervised learning.
- 2019-03-01: Christian A. Scholbeck started his Ph.D. at the Department of Statistics at Ludwigs-Maximilians-University Munich. He will be jointly affiliated with the working group Methods for Missing Data, Model Selection and Model Averaging and the working group Computational Statistics. His research will focus on Interpretable Machine Learning.
2019-01-17: Launch of the Munich Center for Machine Learning
Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl, Prof. Dr. Thomas Seidl and Prof. Dr. Daniel Cremers are launching the Munich Center for Machine Learning, a co-operation between the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich (LMU) and the Technical University Munich (TUM).
Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) have become scientific key technologies. Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl is one of the leading members of the newly established research center Munich Center for Machine Learning (MCML). Funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, the center will bundle excellent ML research, connect with industry and educate students.
The Munich Center for Machine Learning is lead jointly by Prof. Dr. Thomas Seidl and Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl (on the LMU side) and Prof. Dr. Daniel Cremers (for TUM). The MCML is made up of fifteen teams of researchers from the fields of data science, computer science and statistics.
“The Center is designed not only to stimulate basic research in the field of machine learning, but also to make users in science and business aware of its potential,” Professor Thomas Seidl explains.
“Automated modeling, open-source software and explainability are key components for successful transfer of machine learning methods into everyday practice. Germany also must ensure a sufficient training in statistics, data analysis and the use of algorithms for its citizens. These are precisely the goals that the MCML is intended to achieve,” says Prof. Dr. Bischl.
Prof. Dr. Bischl is presently the head of the working group for Computational Statistics at the Department of Statistics at the LMU. He is actively involved in the elite master’s degree Data Science, the innovation lab Big Data Science, and the newly established Munich School for Data Science (MUDS) at LMU’s Helmholtz data science lab. Furthermore he is one of the founders of the Munich R-Courses and the Data Science Certificate Programme of the LMU, which offer advanced training in data science, machine learning, machine learning and programming.
Contact: Prof. Dr. Bernd Bischl
- 2018-12-17: Martin Binder started his Ph.D. in the working group Computational Statistics. He will work on Automatic Machine Learning.
- 2018-11-15: Julia Moosbauer started her Ph.D. in the working group Computational Statistics. She will work on Model-Based Optimization.
- 2018-10-12: The paper “compboost: Modular Framework for Component-Wise Boosting” by Daniel Schalk, Janek Thomas, Bernd Bischl was published at JOSS. LINK
- 2018-09-10: The paper “Visualizing the Feature Importance for Black Box Models” by Giuseppe Casalicchio, Christoph Molnar, Bernd Bischl was accepted and presented at the ECML-PKDD 2018 conference. LINK
- 2018-09-01: Thomas Seidl (LMU), Bernd Bischl (LMU) and Daniel Cremers (TUM) will lead the Munich Center for Machine Learning (MCML).
- 2018-07-14: Stefan Coors took part in the International Workshop on Automatic Machine Learning with the paper on Automatic Gradient Boosting.
- 2018-07-10: Bernd gave a talk at the useR 2018 in Brisbane on “Interpretable Machine Learning” and the iml package LINK, and Janek presented a poster on autoxgboost [Package, Paper].
- 2018-07-05: The Compstat group was invited to WhyR 2018, where we gave talks about several parts of the mlr ecosystem. For more info see the mlr Blog.
- 2018-06-27: The paper “iml - An R package for Interpretable Machine Learning” by Christoph Molnar, Giuseppe Casalicchio, Bernd Bischl was published at JOSS. LINK
- 2018-05-01: Stefan Coors started his Ph.D. in the working group computational statistics. He works on ordinal regression and methods for automatic machine learning.
- 2018-05-01: Our working group is part of the newly created Data Science@LMU Professional Certificate Program.
- 2018-04-01: Daniel Schalk started his Ph.D. in the working group computational statistics. He will work on Federated Learning and Differential Privacy.
- 2018-04-01: Florian Pfisterer started his Ph.D. in the working group computational statistics. He will work on Automatic Machine Learning.
- 2018-01-01: Christoph Molnar received a fellowship from Zentrum Digitalisierung.Bayern
- 2018-01-01: We have created a new lecture Introduction to Machine Learning for statistics students
- 2017-12-14: Janek gave a talk on Bayesian Optimization at the eeecon in Innsbruck
- 2017-12-01: Bernd gave a talk on “Model-Based Optimization for Expensive Black-Box Problems and Hyperparameter Optimization” at the Institute for Statistics and Mathematics, WU Vienna. Link to Talk: LINK
- 2017-10-02: A new lecture has been created: Introduction to Deep Learning
- 2017-10-02: Course Catalog for winter semester 2017/18
- 2017-10-01: The mlr Workshop 2017 takes place in Korfu
- 2017-05-15: Gradient boosting for distributional regression: faster tuning and improved variable selection via noncyclical updates just got accepted by Statistics & Computing: LINK
- 2017-03-28: The multilabel paper got accepted by the R Journal. Link to the paper: LINK
- 2017-03-15: Bernd gave two invited talks about Bayesian Optimization, Algorithm Configuration and Hyperparameter Tuning at the Spring School on Optimization and Data Science
- 2017-03-06: The mlr Workshop 2017 takes place in Munich: LINK
- 2017-03-05: The Innovation Lab “Big Data Science”, organized by the working group computational statistics and the Institute of Informatics will start next semester. We received a grant for this from the ZD.B
- 2017-03-02: We will organize an OpenML tutorial at the useR!2017.
- 2017-03-01: Quay Au started his PhD on reinforcement learning for human-machine-interfaces in cooperation with AUDI.
- 2017-02-27: The OpenML workshop takes place in Munich: LINK
- 2016-11-10: Bernd won the best paper award of the ITAT conference with their paper Reinforcement Learning for Automatic Online Algorithm Selection - an Empirical Study.
- 2016-10-20: Giuseppe gave a live introduction to OpenML at the datageeks data day, here is a video of his talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXjP7P2UQqs
- 2016-10-19: The mlr paper got accepted and published by the JMLR. Link to the paper: LINK
- 2016-08-04: From Monday 08-08 until 08-14 the whole mlr developer team will meet in Palermo for a workshop.
- 2016-07-28: Stefan created an awesome video documentation of the datafest 2016 in Munich. LINK. The datafest is a three data data analysis competition for students. Next year the datafest will be again in Mannheim.
- 2016-07-03: Janek won the TEFDataChallenge at Wayra this weekend.
- 2016-07-01: Xudong Sun joined the group as a fourth PhD Student.
- 2016-04-01: Janek Thomas started his PhD in the working group computational statistics.
- 2015-06-01: Bernd is appointed Professor of “Computational Statistics” at the LMU.
- 2014-10-01: Bernd is back in Dortmund again. Substitute professorship “Mathematical Statistics and Applications in Industry” at the statistics department.
- 2014-04-01: Bernd is substitute professor for “Computational Statistics” at the LMU in Munich.
- 2013-12-01: Bernd is granted best dissertation Award for 2013 by the statistics department.
- 2013-08-01: Bernd defended his PHD thesis.
- 2013-05-01: The two student teams Klaus Friedrichs and Bernd supervised in a case studies course this semester made first AND second place at the data mining cup competition.